Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Drawing Without Sight


So the blind contour drawing exercise was pretty different for me. As an Industrial Design student we are taught to be very creatively controlled in our drawings. This exercise was quite different from design sketching. I did, however, begin to more carefully feel what I was drawing. I began drawing the feet which were, in my viewing plane, farthest to the left. It was fairly intuitive to start there as I suppose I'm used to reading left to right. I tried to maintain a mental map of where I was drawing relative to what I had already drawn... this proved difficult. I do feel that the drawing was somewhat accurate in the end and I did learn how to control line a little more through the exercise. I also found that I began using cross contours to establish form. This seemed to help define the drawing in my mind (mental map of the image). Pretty interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment